Friday, September 6, 2013

You tell them later

You decide to tell them later, maybe at dinner, that way you would have figured out a brilliant argument for why they should let you skip school to go to the concert.
You reach for the doorknob and open the door. You are met by the nice smell of bakery. This means your mother has been baking, which means that she is in a good mood.
“Hi mom, hi dad” you yell, letting them know that you are home. Your dad peaks his head out in the corridor you are standing in.
“Hi Hun, how was your day?” he asks.
“Great” you reply taking off your jacket.
“That’s good” he kisses you on the head and leaves you to watch football on the TV. You think to yourself that it was a wise decision you made. Telling them why would only make them mad because you interrupted them in their hour of great moods. You immediately go to your room taking out your computer and opening Skype. You need to ask Emily what she would say in a situation like this. Though you know that her parent will definitely be open for the idea, they are completely different people than your folks are. They will probably even buy her the ticket if she asks.
“Hello there honey bunch” she says. Her smile is big; she has probably already cleared it with her parents. “What’s up?” she asks.
“What can I tell my parents so they let me skip school to go to the concert?” you bluntly blur out.
As you had expected Emily does know the answer for this. “You say this ‘mom, dad, I’m 19 years old, so that means I can do things now, things that I haven’t been able to do before, for instance I can vote, and I can also take care of myself. This is why you should let me go with Emily to the All Time Low concert that will be happening exactly two months from next Friday, and you will also let me skip school that day so we can be sure that we can get front row spots on the floor instead of being smashed in the middle of a claustrophobic pit of people and losing ourselves from each other. This way we will have a much safer night and an experience that we can look back at and tell our grandchildren when we grow old’, oh and if you can shred a single tear at the growing old part that will be great.” Emily said this so believingly that even if she was your kid, you would have let her attend a rave-party all by herself and the junky from the corner downtown.
“How do you do that?” you ask stunned.
“What?”
“That. You can convince everyone everything you want and you don’t even blink or hesitate, you just know what to say” you say.
“It’s a gift and it’s called brilliant acting” she smirks her evil smirk at you, and as you say your goodbyes you try to memories her speech. You decide to tell your parents the news at dinner, that way they will be focusing on not only you, but also the food.
The rest of the afternoon you spend your time on Tumblr and YouTube catching up on what’s new. As you are in the middle of a Tyler Oakley video your mom calls for dinner and you – confident as ever – have the guts to get up and walk to the kitchen before any thoughts of hesitation hit you.
Half way through dinner, you find you right spot to tell them. “Mom, dad” you start and swallow a piece of chicken, “since I’m 19 now, I feel like I have more freedom than what I used to have. I can vote and uh, take care of myself, and uh I can, I can” oh no you are stuck, come on, just say it “Can I go to a concert with Emily Friday the 29th of May? It’s with my favorite band, and they are quite popular, which means that if we want to make sure we stay together all night and don’t get lost from each other, we need to get up front, which means that we have to be there early, which also means that would have to skip school that day” okay this went pretty well, now you just need their verdict.

“I don’t see any problem in that” you mom says. Your eyes turn big – really big. You jump up from your chair to hug your parent saying “thank you, thank you, thank you” over and over again.

The next day Emily comes over...

No comments:

Post a Comment